There is a long tradition of writing in and about the Forest of Dean. Our people, places and traditions have appeared in books of fiction, fact, and fable, poems, comedy and plays since at least the 18th century. This project will create a range of resources, activities and events to encourage people of all ages to engage with this rich seam of stories set in and about our Forest landscape.
How to Get Involved:
If you enjoy reading, and love the Forest , we want your help! This project will be looking for volunteers to
- Research, read, review and catalogue Forest literature
- Get involved in discussion groups
- Take part in and help organise community events
- Help with administration and social media
If you would like to get involved in this project, please contact
Forest Voluntary Action Forum tel: 01594 822073 email: email@example.com
Before November 2016 this project will:
- Establish an online forum & community for all ages interested in Forest books and writers.
- Set up an advisory team to include representation of schools, libraries, tourism, local groups and expertise.
- Put on a series of talks and exhibitions in local libraries
- Research into the best way to create and share resources that engage our local community and visitors in the ongoing literary heritage of the Forest of Dean.
- Publish ‘An Introduction to Forest Books & Writers’ booklet or e-reader
- Recruit volunteer researchers and readers.
From 2017-2022 the project will:
- Make and share reviews of and responses to Forest books and writers in a range of formats including video, blogs, Tweets and performance.
- Put on a series of community events to celebrate our literary heritage
- Publish a series of scholarly papers to raise the profile of Forest literary heritage amongst the academic community.
- Deliver an accessible, engaging and interactive resource for the Forest community and visitors to our Forest Literary Landscape .
- Publish A Forest of Dean Reader.
University of Gloucestershire
Jason Griffiths - Tel: 01242 715094 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Roger Deeks - Tel: 07708 858274 Email: email@example.com
Twitter: @readingthefod https://twitter.com/readingthefod